Honanki Heritage Site 
Located in the Coconino National Forest, about 15 miles west of Sedona

Located in the Coconino National Forest, about 15 miles west of Sedona

Honanki, which means “bear house,” is believed to have been one of the largest Sinagua communities in the Verde Valley. The Pink Jeep Tours Company is the official site steward. A representative of the company is at the visitor kiosk for you to sign-in and to answer general questions. A Red Rock Pass is required for parking. There are no guides at the site. The Honanki ruins housed three separate cultures at different times in history. The Sinagua, Yavapai, and Apache people all resided in these ruins over the past seven centuries. The ruins are remarkably preserved and still an active archeological dig site. The red rock canyons became areas of intensive occupation with the construction of cliff dwellings. Honanki and Palatki are two of the largest and best preserved cliff dwellings in the Verde Valley. The Sinagua lived here from about A.D. 1100 to 1300. This period of Southern Sinagua prehistory is called the “Honanki Phase.” Honanki contains a more extensive set of ruins than Palatki. It represents one of the largest population centers in the Verde Valley. There were more than 60 ground floor rooms. There was another row of rooms in front of what is visible today, which would bring the total to 72 rooms. The Sinagua abandoned the site around 1300 A.D., about 50 years after they abandoned Palatki.

All Archaeology sites

Crane Petroglyph Heritage Site

Southeast of I-17 at Sedona Exit 298

Sacred Mountain

Not far from V Bar V Heritage Site

Palatki Heritage Site

Off Dry Creek Road, Sedona

Montezuma Well National Monument

Near Rimrock, 11 miles northeast of Montezuma Castle

Montezuma Castle National Monument

In Camp Verde on Montezuma Castle Road

Mindeleff Cavates

Across the Verde River from the Beasley Flat Day Use Area

Honanki Heritage Site

Located in the Coconino National Forest, about 15 miles west of Sedona

Clear Creek Ruins

Located on the south side of State Route 260