Camp Verde Historical Society Museum Research Center
435 South Main St. Camp Verde, Arizona

The Camp Verde Historical Society (CVHS) formed in 1971 after its predecessor, the Camp Verde Museum Association, sold Fort Verde to Arizona State Parks for $1. Today, Camp Verde’s 1914 stone schoolhouse located on Main Street serves as the CVHS Museum and headquarters, and the Camp Verde Visitor Center.

In addition to the museum, CVHS operates and maintains the 1933 Stone Jail on Hollamon Street. The society owns the George Hance House, adjacent to Fort Verde, as well as the Clear Creek Church, across from the historic Clear Creek Cemetery. The society’s Research Center, located in the CVHS headquarters, contains a collection of documents, photographs and artifacts that tell the story of the community and surrounding area for a period of 1,000 years or more.

In 2013, the Camp Verde Visitor Center moved into the front room of the old stone schoolhouse, a structure that is the first stop on the Historic Building Walking Tour. The Visitor Center and the adjacent museum are open daily from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

(928) 567-9560


Open daily from 10am to 4pm

Historic Building Walking Tour

The Historic Building Walking Tour includes thirteen historic buildings found throughout Camp Verde dating to the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.  All tour stops are in walking distance to the Camp Verde Historical Society Museum and Research Center.

Clear Creek Church and Clear Creek Cemetery

Two historic sites from the 19th century, the Clear Creek Church and Clear Creek Cemetery give a glimpse into the life of the first white settlers to call Camp Verde home.

George Hance House

A historic structure built next to the surgeon’s quarters at Fort Verde in 1916-17 for Justice of the Peace, postmaster, notary public and cattleman George Hance.

Visit the museum in downtown Camp Verde